FAQs to the KAGRA collaboration
Frequently asked questions; Beginner's guide, or Senior's reminder.
Back to the KAGRA wiki top page
See also YourActionRequired page.
The page is maintained by the KSC board
Level 0: Before joining to the collaboration
What is Gravitational Wave?
You are not supposed to ask this question. It's beyond our knowledge and space. Go to the KAGRA public FAQ webpage. Bye.
What is KAGRA?
What is KSC (KAGRA Scientific Congress)?
KAGRA Scientific Congress (KSC) is the decision making body of KAGRA collaborators. The aims of KSC are to discuss and to make decisions upon KAGRA science.
(1) Scientific targets pursued by the collaboration.
(2) Recommend/Endorse scientific direction and strategy of KAGRA
(3) Strategies of R&D and data analysis
In addition, KSC manage and maintain the collaboration itself.
(4) Maintenance of the collaborator-list
(5) Maintenance of the author-list
(6) Holding the KAGRA face-to-face meeting
What are the advantages to join the KAGRA collaboration?
- You can have free dinner at August face-to-face meeting. (Only at the meeting at Univ. Toyama.) ... We missed this chance in 2020.
- That's all. (?)
What are the conditions to join the KAGRA collaboration?
A collaborator is supposed to work on gravitational physics and astronomy with certain contributions to the collaboration. Here, the contribution includes not only research, experiments and/or R&D, but also management, outreach, and/or collaborational activities.
What are the restrictions after joining the KAGRA collaboration?
- Please observe the rules and regulations of the collaboration.
- Basically, you need to prepare your own budget for participating any activities. For attending the meetings, KAGRA has Core-to-Core grant for supporting travel fee (note that the total amount is limited). The list of contact persons is available from xxx. (Miyoki)
How to join the KAGRA collaboration?
If you are planning to join KAGRA collaboration as a new group, contact to KSC board (kscboard_at_icrr.u-tokyo.ac.jp) directly or contact to a KSC board member. You will be requested to make a presentation at one of the KAGRA face-to-face meeting on your background and research plans (about 10 minutes). KSC members will vote for your participation. If yes, then you are a KAGRA collaborator.
Rules and Regulations?
Links are here.
List of MoUs?
Level 1: After joined to the collaboration (Initial actions)
What are the initial procedures?
Send your group's information to the roster manager. Instruction is described here. The manager will add your email to KAGRA mailing list, and also give you an account of JGW document server and KAGRA wiki access account.
All members are supposed to file O3 Commitment form with individual signature. This is necessary to access O3 observation data, and keep active your KAGRA mailing list. Follow the procedure in here
All groups are supposed to have KAGRA Collaboration MoU with KAGRA. This is necessary to receive financial support (local transportation) when the members take observation shift. Follow the procedure here.
Each group is supposed to assign KSC member(s). KSC members can vote for decisions of the collaboration. Follow the procedure here.
How can I update the information of KAGRA roster?
Please see the instruction here.
Where can I get the list of abbreviation?
What committees or working groups, and who to contact?
List is here in wiki.
KAGRA Main Data Server?
In order to access observation data, you need to have an account of KAGRA Main Data Server. First, submit O3 Commitment form (above), and follow the procedure in here. Note that the account requires renewal every May.
What kind of mailing lists do we have?
- (Miyoki, Tagoshi)
The wiki seems to be a bit old.
Usage of JGWdoc (document server)
Usage of KAGRAwiki (wiki page)
Usage of klog
Usage of the Zoom
KAGRA telecon frequently use the web browser-based system, Zoom. We have three channels. The access account ID is kagra, and PWD is the one of common to us. You can reserve a channel from here.
Links to KSC newsletters
Level 2: After joined to the collaboration (Research)
List of the collaborators, KAGRA roster?
KSC member updates?
How can I become an author of the collaboration paper?
Consult KAGRA Authorship Policy
- To be in the author-list of KAGRA paper, being a collaborator is just a sufficient condition. Every year, you need to show yourself that you have conducted more than 30% of your research time to KAGRA.
How to access to the KAGRA site?
How to join the subgroup of the KAGRA experiment team?
- (Miyoki, Akutsu)
How to join the subgroup of the KAGRA data analysis team?
What is the schedule of the meetings?
What kind of annual actions are required?
- Every year, you are asked to be in the KAGRA default author-list (above).
- If you have a nice photo: Let the KSC Newsletter share them.
Level 3: After joined to the collaboration (Presentation, Publication, R&D)
Procedures of proposing a research?
For data analysis, please contact to sub working group chief, listed in http://gwwiki.icrr.u-tokyo.ac.jp/JGWwiki/KAGRA/DAWG.
For future experiments and R&D, please consult Project R&D Committee (PRPC) wiki.
For future directions, please consult Future Planning Committee (FPC)wiki.
Procedures of proposing a collaboration paper?
- Please contact to kscboard_at_icrr.u-tokyo.ac.jp
O3 observation shift system?
- Please contact to Miyakawa-san.
What should I do when we detected gravitational wave?
- Please do not tweet scientific parameters in SNS, until we publish the scientific results.
- Please do not show and distribute the data out to the collaboration.
Who to ask to open an overleaf project?
KAGRA subscribes an online LaTeX editor, Overleaf (SharedLaTeX), with Professional level. https://www.overleaf.com/
- Personal use of Overleaf is free of charge, so please open your account (email address) by yourself. This subscription enables us to edit, share and compile tex files online.
When you plan to use Overleaf for your projects, please contact to firstname.lastname@example.org The managers of Overleaf will create a project upon your request. You need to inform the following data for creating a project
- Project Name: xxxxx (e.g. TestGR_Ringdown2019 )
- purpose: (brief description, one line)
target journal: xxxx (CQG, PRD, PTEP ) —> default author-list tex will be provided upon request
- editors: Name (email address), Name (email address), Name (email address), ….
- If a project is opened by above request and your email is registered as an editor, then you can access to the related projects with your account. (So that if you are already using Overleaf, then your account can be used.)
When I wrote a paper, what is the process?
If it is related to KAGRA, you need to ask the collaboration whether the style (contents and author list) is OK via the Committee of Publication Control (CPC). Submit information via submission page, CPC will judge whether the style is appropriate, and if necessary CPC circulates the draft to the collaboration. The circulation normally takes a week or 10 days.
How we write acknowledgment?
- All presentations in international conferences and work shops are regarded to have this acknowledgement if they are related with KAGRA. This acknowledgment was confirmed August 6, 2020 by EO.
- “This work was supported by MEXT, JSPS Leading-edge Research Infrastructure Program, JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Specially Promoted Research 26000005, JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research on Innovative Areas 2905: JP17H06358, JP17H06361 and JP17H06364, JSPS Core-to-Core Program A. Advanced Research Networks, JSPS Grant-in-Aid for Scientific Research (S) 17H06133, the joint research program of the Institute for Cosmic Ray Research, University of Tokyo, National Research Foundation (NRF) and Computing Infrastructure Project of KISTI-GSDC in Korea, Academia Sinica (AS), AS Grid Center (ASGC) and the Ministry of Science and Technology (MoST) in Taiwan under grants including AS-CDA-105-M06, Advanced Technology Center (ATC) of NAOJ, Mechanical Engineering Center of KEK, the LIGO project, and the Virgo project."